The last and probably the most desired somatype is that of the mesomorph. A mesomorph typically has a medium to large large bone structure, large muscles and an athletic physique. Mesomorphs find it easy to gain and lose weight and they are naturally strong individuals. I attribute a lot of my weight loss to the fact that I do have some mesomorph type qualities.
The mesomorph body type responds very well to training. Gains are usually seen very quickly, especially for beginners. However, mesomorphs can also gain fat more easily than ectomorphs. They have to watch their caloric intake or they can quickly become out of shape. An excellent example of this is Janet Jackson whose weight sees more fluctuation than the stock market.
From Chunky to Chiseled...
Male mesomorphs need to focus on keeping their body fat percentage down, as many mesomorphs are prone to weight gain, even though they lose it fairly easily. A balanced combo of cardio and weight lifting make the male mesomorph the physical cadillac of men.
- Vernon Davis: The Cadillac CTS of Men.
Female mesomorphs should focus on weight loss to shrink your waistline with a regular and efficient cardio routine. From a weight-lifting perspective they should focus on defining and shaping curves of their figure. Due to ther natural propensity to already be musclar their should be to create a lot of shape.
- Skylar Diggins my future wife…is a mesomorph.
From a diet perspective a mesomorph has a little bit more leeway than an endomorph but still has to be careful of what they eat as they can easily put on weight. A good diet for a mesomorph should be well balanced with 5-7 small meals a day. It is important for mesomorphs to intake sufficent amounts of protein and consume complex carbs preferably in the morning. They should also focus on consuming lean protein and avoid starchy foods and foods high in fat as they are susceptible to unwanted weight gain.
I have always been pretty indifferent to Sushi. Over the past few weeks I have discovered that I have an affinity for sushi. I don’t think its a coincidence my desire for sushi developed when they opened up a Wegman’s grocery store, no more than a few minutes from my house. I’d venture to say Ive been there about 10 times in the 24 days its been opened.
Through this love affair I have discovered this magic slimy green stuff known as seaweed salad.You can probably infer from my previous physical size, that there isn’t much that I wont eat so physical appearance means little to me when it comes to food. Normally, I’d be adverse to putting slimy green stuff in my mouth but unlike people looks aren’t everything when it comes to food ( I’m kidding…maybe). Putting aside my vain tendencies I’ve found that it tastes great and apparently its pretty healthy. Here are some of the health benefits of seaweed:
- Burns Fat-Studies have shown that seaweed is powerful aid in helping people loose weight. Seaweed contains fibrous alga that has been found to be effective in reducing fat absorption in clinical trials (healthnews.com). It also contains fucoxanthin has been shown to be an effective way to increase metabolism and suppress appetite. In other words it has a reverse munchies effect or so I’ve heard. I’ve never used illegal drugs in my life.
- Helps Immune System- Seaweed Salad contains garlic. Garlic has long been considered a way to prevent illness in traditional medicine. Modern research has shown that helps to prevent sickness by regulating your immune system. In an article by the The Journal of the National Medical Association, titled “Garlic Revisited: Therapeutic for the Major Diseases of Our Times?” research showed that garlic boosts your immune system by helping your body eliminate dangerous free radicals and heavy-metal intoxication.
Slimy, Green Goodness...
- Settles the Stomach: Seaweed salad contains ginger. Ginger has been used in traditional medicine to relieve mild &upset stomachs.
- Promotes Mental Health- Seaweed contains the powerful antioxidant Seanol that helps boost energy and mental alertness.
One thing to consider with seaweed salad is that it can contain high amounts of sodium. Especially if it is purchased from a sushi bar. So be mindful of that if you decide to purchase it from that source.